Friday, July 13, 2007

Roppongi 六本木: Mori Art and Midtown

I had been wanting to see the Mori Art Center in Roppongi for quite a while, and easily persuaded my host dad to go with me. The exhibit was AWESOME: about the artist/architect LeCorbusier. We spent probably 2 hours in the exhibit, seeing architectural models, diagrams, paintings, furniture, a model car, and even experiencing some architecture in life size models of his "modular apartments". Absolutely fantastic... and reminded me of the architect-hero in Ayn Rand's Fountainhead, in the way that his buildings were designed around man's proportions (LeCorbusier had an elaborate system) and for maximum efficiency, especially in housing projects/apartments. LeCorbusier also did urban planning, and designed some fabulous looking churches... very modern.

Link to Mori Art Center's page on the exhibit

Admission to the museum also grants permission to "Tokyo City View" (like so many other Tokyo "views") on the 53rd floor of the Mori tower. However, being situated in Roppongi gave a vastly different look than say the Tocho in Shinjuku or the Tokyo Tower near Tokyo Station. We saw the Aoyama Park 青山公園 and several parks.





Host dad had to run errands, so my friend L joined me and we wandered around another of my favorite places, Tokyo Midtown. I really like this sculpture out front (LEFT).










I also like the basement food courts in Midtown, and the Preece Supermarket that sells all sorts of imported things... like German sparking Cassis fruit wine! (LEFT, a tribute to Gramma's Thanksgiving picture!)

No comments: